12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Title
- A Short, Flat Ride through the country

Route:…. 7.5 miles each way. My House is in a rural area outside of a 12,000 person City. I work about a mile into the city-fied area. Usually 40 minutes on the way in, since I'm trying to avoid sweating... I can do 30 minutes on the way home.
Road conditions / surfaces:….
Mostly Blacktop in decent condition, but about a mile of "chip n seal" which is pretty rough, but tolerable.
Traffic:….
pretty sparse until I reach the business area, about a mile from work
Environment:….
Mostly Country Roads, riding by corn fields and houses, then riding by walmart, kroger, and a few other stores before I get to work. (This lastsection has a wide shoulder, so it may actually be safer than the narrow country roads).
Hills:….
None to speak of, a few small ups and downs (by small, I mean, down 5-10 seconds, then back up 5-10 seconds and back to flat for a while). There is one place that is a steady incline of 1 or 2% for almost a mile. (both ways...it comes back down)
Frequency:….
Usually twice a week. Work and family schedules prevent more, since I need to be able to drive home quickly in the middle of some days, or drive to a lunch meeting
Departure time:….
8am, leave work around 4pm.

Bike:…. 2013 Walmart Schwinn Varsity 1200 (21 speed flatbar hybrid). 28mm tires.
Bike name:.…
"MY Bike"
Cargo:….
Under saddle bag with bike repair needs. Work clothes in a small drawstring backpack strapped to a rear rack with bungee cords. Pump, water bottle, Lights
Helmet / Mirror:….
Yes, Black

Destination:
Parking:….
Bike gets parked in my office
Cleanup:….
Ride slow on the way to work so I don't sweat too much. Wipe off with a microfiber rag.
Amenities:….
Shower if I want it, but I rarely use it. If I shower before I leave in the morning, it's just a light amount of "clean sweat", so it doesn't stink.
Departure time:….
4 pm ish.

Alternative Transportation:….Car, 10 minute drive.