View Single Post
Old 01-25-15, 03:27 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by 12strings
Btw, Jim, before I moved back to the Midwest, I would bike commute from just north of Harvard Square, to either Copley square or Beacon Hill...during BOston's rush hour...that is an exciting ride...

Originally Posted by 12strings
Title
- A Short, Flat Ride through the country [of Madison, IN];...
Thanks for that reply. We live in Kenmore Square, as you may recall about a mile from Copley Square.

Now, it just so happens that my wife and I (to the best of my recollection) have cycled in Madison. We were on our cross-country honeymoon in 1977 from Los Angeles to Washington DC, and I'm pretty sure we arrived in Madison on a Saturday, and stayed over in a Motel on the Ohio River that had a wide Southern plantation style porch with high columns (? The Madison Inn). Maybe it had a large sign overlooking the River. We arrived just before a thunderstorm and enjoyed watching it from the porch.

On the Indiana segment of the ride, I believe we entered from Mt Carmel, Ill, and I think we stayed over an extra rest day in Huntingburg because they had a motel with a pool (we camped and moteled). I recall on that Friday we stopped in a little town with "English" in the name to pick up some traveler's checks with money wired to us there.

On Sunday we left Madison, and on one of our longest days, we rode across Kentucky to Maysville, a picturesque town also on the Ohio River. My recollections about the Ohio River was the sense of early 19th century history, riverboats and such, and architecture so different than the West of the later 19th century that we had previously passed through.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-25-15 at 05:10 PM.