View Single Post
Old 01-26-15, 09:28 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
There are no laws against wandering around...But living like a "mooch" is a shame and a terrible waste of a persons life. I just hate being around "spongers" who refuse to take any responsibility for themselves.
There's a difference between 'mooching' and free camping. Some people may combine the two but that's not my ideal. I prefer the idea of working for what I need from others, but I think people should be free to minimize their economic interdependency by reducing their expenditures and income WITHOUT sacrificing the ability to travel by camping for free. It's wrong to say that camping for free when someone does no harm and leaves no trace is 'mooching.'

Originally Posted by Machka
If you want to do these things, I suggest you get a good job, take on extra part time work if necessary, take night classes if that will help you advance in your career, and save, save, save. Make a 5-year plan. At the end of 5 years you might be able buy that bit of land and put a tiny house on it or go travelling. That's how it works.
That may be how it works in your mind, but can you not see the problem with prohibiting people from bike-camping freely if they don't follow all the steps you mention. You're basically saying that you have to save up a king's ransom to buy your own freedom for a little while. It's a slave mentality.