In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by duckbill
I agree.
It was mentioned by Machka earlier that being off the grid is not simple. Living simply is finding what you can live without not what you necessary need to run out and buy. Owning a car is necessary for some lifestyles but finding a life without the car is living simple and the whole point of this forum. Simple living in a small flat with low rent and a place to park your bike sounds like a secure lifestyle to me.

I have lived in quite a variety of different situations from living in a tent for 3 months while travelling around Australia to a cabin in the hills completely off-the-grid to apartments, houses, etc. etc.

For me, the most simple living was probably the years I lived car-free in a 2-bedroom apartment in Winnipeg. I was within easy cycling distance from work (I also had bus transportation there, and in a pinch I could walk the distance). I was within easy walking distance from shopping, medical facilities, the library, church, and just about everything I needed, and there were good bus services to things further afield, or I could cycle there. The apartment was a comfortable size, the rent was reasonable and included everything but my phone, and everything was taken care of ... lawns were mowed, sidewalks were shovelled, etc. etc.

I had a decent job with excellent benefits and pretty good holiday time so I could travel each year, was attending night classes throughout about 2/3 of each year, and was able to cycle thousands of kilometres each year.

That was an easy and uncomplicated time.

Our time in the small town north of Melbourne was similar, although it did have the additional complication that if we needed something the town didn't have, we would have to make a trip into Melbourne or Shepparton to get it. We were making those trips about once every 6 weeks to 2 months.

Last edited by Machka; 01-26-15 at 04:27 PM.