View Single Post
Old 01-26-15, 05:52 PM
physdl

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Route: 9.5 miles or so one way
Road conditions / surfaces: Road the whole way with bike lanes most of the way. I can also take a gravel trail 2/3 of the way, which has fewer hills but takes more effort to bike
Traffic: minimal to heavy. generally respect bikes and aren't too aggressive
Environment: suburban to downtown urban. Nice views of the lake
Hills: I'm in the Puget sound area - are there any flat sections is a better question. The answer is only about a quarter-mile. According to Google maps I only climb 500 ft or so (and drop almost the same), but it feels like more. On the other hand, I get to spend a good chunk of time going 20-30 mph down a hill without even pedaling.
Frequency: as often as I can/want to - seems to work out to 2-3 times per week
Departure time: 8-10 AM
Bike: Trek 4500 converted to hybrid
Cargo: Topeak MTX trunk bag with food, clothes, and miscellaneous other items. I try to keep it light by leaving stuff at work/home. Plus an additional under-seat bag with repair items.
Illumination (to see and be seen): Cygolite Metro 550 front light, Solas taillight, Flea 2.0 tail light (on helmet), reflective jacket or safety vest
Helmet / Mirror: helmet (law here) and safe zone mirror
Destination:
Parking: indoor, secure parking, employee access only, I lock my bike but crime doesn't seem to be a major problem
Cleanup: shower and lockers
Departure time: 5-7 PM
Alternative Transportation: walk 10 min to bus stop and take 15-30 minute express bus that drops me off across the street from my office building. Being this close to the bus makes it hard to bike when the weather is bad, but biking is still nicer than the bus.