View Single Post
Old 01-26-15, 06:10 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
That's not just how it works in my mind ... that's how it works in reality too. I deal in the actual and real, rather than the theoretical, hypothetical, and rhetorical. If you take steps to get a good job, and perhaps additional jobs as well (all of which I've done), then you are in a position to do a wide variety of things ... your choice.
I just googled 'realpolitik' and it is a term that seems to describe your position fairly well. Would you agree? I dislike it because it doesn't matter to me how many people gang up to force their view of reality on a minority or individual, wrong is wrong - and I don't believe in social-cultural relativism where right and wrong are considered arbitrary cultural constructions. Making people work for you (or pay money) to use land that you have put no labor into for their benefit is wrong. It's one thing to protect yourself, your property, and the fruits of your labor against abuses. It's something else to territorialize land purely for the sake of forcing people into paying fees, taxes, tolls, etc. for your benefit. How would you like it if some clever bullies or businesspeople bought up all the land around your house and charged you a toll to leave home? They could tell tell you "this is just how it works in reality" but it would still be wrong.

And you don't have to save up a "king's ransom". Nor is it a slave mentality. It's all about priorities. We all have to work for a living, that's a fact of life ... the chance of winning the lottery or receiving an inheritance from a rich great uncle is pretty low ... but we can make choices about what we do for a living, and then what we do with what we earn.
It is a slave mentality. It is the mentality that we're essentially not free until we earn the right to exercise freedom. Reality is that we are inherently free and people territorialize areas to obstruct others' inherent freedom. You can normalize it all you like but it doesn't make it right, nor is it 'reality' at the most fundamental level. Maybe at the normative level but norms aren't reality, they're social-cultural constructs.

Regarding "bike-camping freely" ... I'm not sure where that came from in this thread, but you've mentioned it in other threads, and people can and do bike camp freely. Free camping is widely available in many countries, and there is a segment of the cycletouring group who are quite adept at "stealth camping" or wild camping or bush camping or free camping or whatever you would like to call it.
Great. My point is that it's not stealing. It is a method of simple living. And if you want to know why this topic came up in this thread, ask the people who decided to question me for explaining my view of simple living as being rooted in the ideal of freely traveling while making minimum impact and engaging in minimum economic interdependency.