Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by shyonelung
So I'm three weeks in and I've done 2-3 spinning classes a week and 3-4 rides (twice I did a ride and a spin on the same day). I've also been crosstraining three days a week (weights, squats, rings, core, etc.) which is part of a program I've been doing for going on about 9 months now. I did a 30-mile ride with about 10 other riders yesterday that was, at times, much faster than my average. I felt strong throughout, especially climbing and found it easier to stand up and pedal when I needed to do that. There were segments during the ride where I improved my average time by as much as 3 mph. So I'm going to say at this point that the spinning combined with my other workouts is helping me so far. One other side benefit is that I feel really good today. My legs feel like they've done a good workout but nothing is sore or painful. I really like the spinning classes too so I think I might keep doing at least one a week (it's getting nicer out and the days longer so I'll be able to get out on the road more now). But, of course, YMMV.

Btw, I'm newly unemployed (got laid off from a job on New Year's Day) which is why I presently have time to do two-a-day workouts.
Wonderful! (Not the being laid off part, sorry to hear that, but the feeling stronger part)

I have also found that the spinning classes have helped me increase my speed. They are, essentially, intervals, after all.

We're in a bit of a dilemma right now ... our fitness centre membership finishes later in February. On the one hand, I enjoy the spinning classes and the rest of the facility, and it is close to where I work. But on the other hand, it is some distance from where we live and quite some distance from where Rowan works, and there are other fitness centres that would be more convenient and potentially more cost-effective. So I may be trying out some spinning classes in the other fitness centres over the next month to see if they will suit me.