bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
The 9 x 6 metre shed that we lived in after the bushfires came after several years of very simple living for me.

I lived in this portable unit on my first orchard/farm for several years:

Yep, that's a single room.

For my second stint on the orchard (after six months in Canada), I lived at a nearby property (a 6km commute one way -- and I was car-free). This was the first place I slept and lived in:

Then I moved to what was the old manager's office on the property -- essentially two rooms. It was palatial compared with what came previously.

Then it ended up like this:

Then I lived in this for around four months:

Which had a view like that from the front door.

And after Machka moved from Canada, we lived in this:

Which had these wonderful facilities:

I did move the bath and toilet indoors in the 12 months we were there.

--------------------------------------------------

All this was over 5-1/2 years. Of the posters here, I think I am well qualified to say that living the simple life off the grid is a grand dream, but the reality can be really, really tough, and it's not a way of life I would return to willingly unless I had a bucket full of capital and could set it up so it was comfortable and without a huge workload.
Thanks for posting these, Rowan. They remind of my own forays into extreme simplicity (though I've never managed to last more than several months at a time), and I agree with you that simplicity isn't always quite as simple as advertised.