Old 01-27-15, 01:00 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tandempower
I don't think 'the world owes me' anything. I think the planet is provided to humans and other beings free of charge 'from the get go.' Then we put our labor into it and make it a bit more user-friendly. Mostly humans have gone overboard with this and overdeveloped nature, often from the narrow view that the more they change the land, the more value it adds to it. Humans are egoistic and tend to fetishize the products of their labor. This is true from the graffiti artist scribbling profanities on a school desk or bathroom wall to the engineers of Mt. Rushmore and most of European(ized) cities. Architecture can be beautiful, but its beauty can distract people from the fact that there was natural land before humans developed it and life lived freely on that land before humans started territorializing it, controlling living things, hunting down (or away) those that didn't conform to the expectations of the bullying land-masters.
I think your outlook is admirable. Contrary to some of the accusations you've received here, I find that you want your freedom and you're willing to work for it to the extent that your work is dictated by nature, not people. For example, to get food you know that you need to expend the energy and earn money and/or forage, etc. You're not asking for everything to be served up to you just like you want it.

But I also think that you're missing an important aspect of human society or more broadly, life itself. Life involves competition for resources. The fact is that you and I were born into a world that has billions of other people on it. All of these people have staked out their territory before we ever arrived. In my view, the planet was not "provided" at all. It is just here like the rest of the universe. It is not "free of charge". There's nobody to collect that charge. It just is.

For a long time before you and I were born, people staked out "their" property. Some areas are still public property and that's because societies have deliberately recognized that as appropriate and made it so. Be thankful for that! It's not true to the extent that I would like. But the world could be more unforgiving than it is.

Morality was invented by humans, and (I think) is really based in the nurturing instincts of all mammals. But there is no absolute morality. Your morals seem to include the assertion that you should be able to roam and camp where you please. That would be nice but how are you going to convince the entrenched masses that it should be so? You were born into a world that doesn't work like you'd like it to. You have every right to struggle with these folks and try to get them over to your way of thinking. But after you manage to convince the people on BF about it you'll have a few billion more to convert too. I wouldn't give that good odds.

I completely identify with your desire to camp freely. I very much want the same thing! I love the idea that I can have a free weekend of camping by raking some stuff out of the fridge and going to Dawson Forest which is some distance north of Atlanta where I live. Dawson Forest has free disbursed camping so I do this with no worry about getting caught. It gets a little old going there almost every time I camp locally. But that's the only place I know of around here where I can freely camp. I wish it were different. But OTOH I'm also quite thankful that Dawson Forest is there! It would not have to be so.

I also stealth camp sometimes and have to be more discreet then. Even though I'm never guilty of trespassing, I don't want to be woken in the night by an irate dude with a -g-u-n- ordering me off of his property. So I'm careful to go undetected.

It would be nice if there were no private property. Or a lot less of it. But now I'm dreaming about a world that doesn't exist. If I were a twelve year old idealist then I might set out to change these things about how the world works. But I've been around the block a few times and I've learned to accept the things I can't change as just the way it is. Get used to it and move on. Learn to enjoy what's wonderful about the world, change the things you have some hope of changing, and accept the rest without a lot of grief.