Old 01-27-15, 01:23 PM
f1xedgear
screw campy & shimano

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From home to work: Cary, NC to Durham, NC

Surfaces: All paved, good condition, good shoulder. ~1/3 (6 miles one way) of my cyclocommute is on a paved MUT (the American Tobacco Trail), which—for me—makes this whole cyclocommuting thing possible.

Motorized traffic level: Light first half, moderate second half, and vice versa heading home.

Non-motorized traffic level (MUT): Pretty quiet in winter months; other seasons are relatively busy with peds, runners, cyclists, equestrians, etc.

Road environment: Mainly quiet country roads, with some small-city roadways (which do include interspersed bike lanes closer to downtown Durham)

Hills: Several short, quick climbs but my route is primarily rolling terrain, with the MUT on an old rail bed

Frequency: I aim for my full work week, which is Monday through Friday

Home departure time A.M.: Sept – May, 5:30(ish); June-August, 5:15(ish)

Bike: Homebrew fixedgear

Cargo: Rear pack (with tools) on a rack, and a rear pannier (with clothes, food, thermos, wallet, any other personal essentials) thrown over top of that

Office parking: Dedicated indoor-bicycle parking space

Cleanup: Her/his bathroom sink

Amenities: Small-city downtown area with lots o‘ stuff within walking

Work departure time P.M.: 4:15(ish) year round (I am annal about being on the roads at the same time consistently during the work week. I am recognized by the other road users. Leaving home or work at a different time really screws up the traffic rhythm.)

Alternative transportation: Motorbike or car