Old 01-27-15, 05:40 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Tough crowd here. How many folks critical of spinning actually do the classes? You absolutely can crank up the Watts if you have the legs for it, or you can spin away with almost no resistance. Your choice. That is part of the popularity of the classes. Anyone from an out of shape beginner to an elite athlete can do it. And, most instructors I know don't crank the music to ear bleeding levels.
Yep. You can crank that resistance knob and have sparks flying off that wheel if you want. Or, you can sit off to the side and barely toodle along while you gossip with your friend.

I did some spin classes years ago and brought my own cleats, pedals and saddle. The instructor was a triathlete who had a tough program that thankfully didn't include any of the "jumps" Machka mentioned. Not sure how much the spin class helped my cycling but it certainly didn't hurt.

Doing a lot of weightlifting with my legs seemed to help my sprinting but I didn't notice any improvement on my climbing.

My biggest problem is the local spin class is at 0530. Getting up in time is sketchy for me as my alarm clock(the dog) likes to sleep until 0600. Maybe as the sun rises earlier I'll be able to get to another class.

As for riding on a trainer at home; I'd rather watch paint dry or grass grow. I sold my trainer and bought better winter cycling clothes. But at this time of year, I'm working the "vampire" shift; it's dark when I get to work, it's dark when I leave. The gym gets me to the weekends.