Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
State governments should create no-trace biker/hiker camping permits that stipulate conditions for free overnight stays on public and/or private lands that protect land-owner participants against liability so that they can be free to offer the use of their property for hiker/biker camping.
1. Go to Scotland, Scandinavia, Australia, the west coast of the US, and other places. Research their policies etc. regarding free camping and hiker/biker campsites. Experience camping in those places. Get to know the pros and cons and all about them.

2. Travel around your state and determine where similar camping situations could feasibly work.

3. Create a proposal for your own state based on your research and experience.

4. Present the proposal to your state government.

You might also want to get others on board. Travel with some friends to get varied perspectives. Present your ideas to hiking and cycletouring clubs to get some feedback. Present your ideas to privately owned campgrounds. Your ideas will have more impact if you can get a group of people behind them.

Your complaint/issue is just with one area of the US (Florida and some of the east coast, I'm guessing). The rest of the US, and much of the rest of the world, are somewhat freer when it comes to camping. Throughout much of Canada, for example, you can free camp and chances are the only thing that will disturb you might be a coyote. I've already told you about the free camping in state forests and rest areas in Australia. Scotland has an overall free camping policy. Parts of Scandinavia also allow free camping. I'm sure if you did some digging you'd find all sorts of places you could camp for free around the world.

So go have a look at what's available in other parts of the world and then propose changes for your own particular area based on what you find.

Here's a site to get you started ...
Freedom to roam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia