Old 01-27-15, 11:22 PM
simmonsgc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Finally, a contribution.

I'm very happy to finally have something to offer in this thread. It's been slow going, with life getting in the way of playing with bikes!

Got a mock-up done, finally, and the fit on this cold-set 1988 MB-2 with drops works great for me. I may not even need a dirt drop to get the bars where I want them. A 60mm SR road quill gets them pretty close, but we'll see. Probably won't run the Vueltas-- just put them on for mock-up since they are the only 26's I have right now with rubber on them. This one came to me from a friend as a bare frame and mismatched fork. Nice that the fork is lugged, but the keyway needs to be milled a bit, and then cut to length. I had to chase the threads further down the steer tube. I think it must've come from a much bigger frame. It's stupid long, which is better than being too short! I think I like the looks better than the original unicrown. My great LBS guy sold me a wheel's worth of Dia Compe 986's, so I just need to find some cantis for the rear. Plan is to build it up, ride and work out the kinks, then tear it down for PC. Paint is a hot mess.

This is one of the more inspiring threads in C&V, and I've really enjoyed all the creativity and cool builds here. Notice my Park CS-1 cold set tool leaning against the wall. Snagged it off eBay.

Last edited by simmonsgc; 01-28-15 at 11:17 AM. Reason: added stupid park tool joke