icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

Bikes: Guerciotti, Serotta, Gaulzetti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by FredyCro
Hello guys, thank you for the amazing inspiration first! Here is my conversion to be in the LBS that allows me to use their tools. The frame was rescued from a lot at a student dorm where it was to be thrown away for good, it came with an almost full STX group but in an awfull, rusted condition. It is to be more road orientated build, for now it stands as a SS, but I have a Shimano 600 6400 Ultegra mini group I plan to put on it. The front derauiller is no good since it is a bottom pull and there is no possible routing (except to weld/braze one on). I read here before that some sucessfully used road STIs with MTB FD although it is not suposed to work. One long googgling session later I found this - Front derailleur mod to permit MTB FD with STI road shift levers- Mtbr.com.
Before I emerge on this quest, I wanted to ask if any of you had succes in doing this and what is your experience? Is simply mounting the cable on the opposite side of the bolt enough (I was thinking to file down a cable route and pin it down with an extra washer)? I plan to use the STX crank as a double (42/32) with STX FD, Ultegra RD and Ultegra STIs (2*8, road casette).
Or, you could get a really wide cassette (like 11-34) and set it up as a 1x8.