View Single Post
Old 01-28-15, 04:31 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
1. Go to Scotland, Scandinavia, Australia, the west coast of the US, and other places. Research their policies etc. regarding free camping and hiker/biker campsites. Experience camping in those places. Get to know the pros and cons and all about them.
It's far more effective to appear to universal/generalized logic than to cite specific regimes. Citing specific regimes gives opponents the easy option of saying, "well this is not Scotland," or, "if you like Scandinavia so much, why don't you go live there?" The simple fact is that reason supercedes norms. Unreasonable norms can survive for a while once their unreasonability is exposed, but not forever. The only reason unreasonable culture persists is because people consent to accepting it by arbitrary reference to tradition, etc. They say, "maybe it's wrong, but that's just the way it is." If it's wrong, people won't be able to tolerate it forever.

2. Travel around your state and determine where similar camping situations could feasibly work.
I have no idea what could possibly be unfeasible about people availing areas of land to permitted hiker/bikers. An even greater incentive would be to give them a tax exemption in exchange for a conservation/camping easement. If the law says campers camp at their liability and property owners can file complaints that could ultimately revoke campers' licenses, many more people would feel comfortable availing an area of land in this way. . . especially if a public information campaign explained the multi-day nature of long distance biking/hiking travel.

3. Create a proposal for your own state based on your research and experience.
This can work against you. People like to shoot others' ideas down. Sometimes it's better to share ideas freely and let someone with political aspirations put their name on the idea to gain some work experience in the career field they're pursuing.

You might also want to get others on board. Travel with some friends to get varied perspectives. Present your ideas to hiking and cycletouring clubs to get some feedback. Present your ideas to privately owned campgrounds. Your ideas will have more impact if you can get a group of people behind them.
This is basically what I"m doing talking about it online. I also informally talk about it with people I meet who have rural land or when I camp in a campground, I talk about it with the managers and/or employees.

Your complaint/issue is just with one area of the US (Florida and some of the east coast, I'm guessing). The rest of the US, and much of the rest of the world, are somewhat freer when it comes to camping. Throughout much of Canada, for example, you can free camp and chances are the only thing that will disturb you might be a coyote. I've already told you about the free camping in state forests and rest areas in Australia. Scotland has an overall free camping policy. Parts of Scandinavia also allow free camping. I'm sure if you did some digging you'd find all sorts of places you could camp for free around the world.
I intentionally leave out specific place information to keep discussion on the general level. If this discourse applies to some forum user's experience and interests, great. If not, they won't bother with the thread. It's that simple really. No need to go off defining places that will lead to stereotyping due to partial knowledge of a place. Enough of that goes on in this world, don't you think?

So go have a look at what's available in other parts of the world and then propose changes for your own particular area based on what you find.
You really think like a statistician and I don't think I'm ever going to convince you that it's not a good way of thinking, let alone make you see that there are other, better ways of thinking. All I can say is that when I was small, they taught kids that just because everyone else is doing something doesn't make it right and doesn't mean you should do it. It was called 'peer pressure' and it was associated with drug-pushing. Thus I can't legitimately support or criticize something on the basis of 'what others do,' whether those others are individual people or collective identities like cities and nations.