Old 01-28-15, 05:21 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Here's the problem with what you're describing: the frames are different, true. But the equipment, especially the tires, is also different. So what it really creating the differences in what you're feeling? Also, do those differences in "feeling" translate to real differences in performance?
My bikes are equipped very much the same. I really do attribute the difference in performance to the frame/fork/stem more than any other factor. The bikes ride on the same tires (though I just switched to try different tires on the older bike), and they have wheels that are the same weight. If anything the wheels on the 85 trek out perform the ones on the new custom. Outwardly, they are the same bikes, of the same size, with roughly equivalent components (I actually find the rival shifters more responsive than the campy ones, though they are about equally comfortable).

In the end, the new bike is consistently about a half a mph faster on sub 2 hours rides. Trust me, I hammer on both of them with just slightly different results. Worth the cost for that small difference? I'm happy I have the new one, but appreciate the old one.