View Single Post
Old 01-29-15, 09:22 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Wish I'd known earlier Heathpack,

Your group could have joined ours on the training rides for Camino Real. Deb has the route sheets available on the Planet Ultra Site, so I would say look and that and plan your routes based a good start/finish point for your riders.

Our rides were planned by Lois, so the North-Half started/finished at Chapman/Santiago and Jamboree. For the Southern Route we parked in the parking lot next Carl's Jr. in South San Clemente ($15.00 per day) but sometimes (if you get there before the surfers) you can find free parking on the street (El Camino Real).

Plenty of places for food/drink stops on the North Half. On the South Half we stopped (both outgoing and returning) at the Starbucks at College and Vandegrift, i.e. just after you get off the Bike Trail and just before you turn right onto North River Road. Lunch was in Bonsoll, at the same Campground that Planet Ultra uses on the actual double. Other than that, nothing special.

We're headed up to Crystal Lake Cafe from Encanto Park (8:00 AM start) if you and your group would like to join us on that little climb. Good climbing training even though no where near the Camino Real course.

Rick / OCRR
Thanks Rick. I did not realize the route sheets were up, last time I looked I could not find them. Maybe I missed them or maybe she just put them up.

Anyway, we have been planning on Feb 8 all along. I was away on vacation the last 2 weekends and some of us from our CR group are riding the Adobo Velo Tour de Francis ride this weekend. I'd personally like to ride two rides on the course and cover all the miles- something like 120-130 miles on Feb 8 and 70-80 miles on Feb 14 or 15. Not sure that I'll be able to get a group together for the Feb 14 or 15 ride, though. And it's not hugely important, we'll have a 5th person riding with us for CR and he's done the ride several
times and will be our tour guide.

But I like to be very well-prepared for everything, personally, I'd rather ride the entire course prior to the event and have no surprises.