View Single Post
Old 01-29-15, 10:39 PM
CharlyAlfaRomeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
I once attempted to walk .5 miles to my uncles house when it was -22f with a very light breeze. I was bundled up big time, and hey, it's only .5 miles, right.
Walking is the worst in the cold. You don't exert yourself enough to warm up. By contrast cycling in even a little bit of snow is a serious workout, you just have to make sure your skin is covered and you aren't otherwise overdressed so as to sweat too much. Even without some snow you just have to pick up the pace and you'll warm up.

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Curious about something. When you are exposed to hot weather, at what temperature do you begin to feel uncomfortable? What is intolerable?
Summer comes slowly around here so I have time to adjust. Come July I'm fine up to the mid to high eighties, though the first really warm ride is a bit grueling.

I will say that without an adjustment period exerting myself in heat is awful. I traveled to Argentina one February and since it was their summer I planned to do a bunch of skateboarding.

It was -13 F no humidity to speak of when I went to the airport here, and 109 F with 100% humidity when I arrived in Buenos Aires.

For every five minutes I spent riding at the skate parks I would spend the next ten pouring ice water over my head.