bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredkevbot
This is less of a call for advice or a rally for a cause, but more of a poll.

So I work for a small Healthcare company (around 20 people) in downtown Boston. Most of us are between 23-32 years old. And when I ride to work, I get not outright criticism, but my efforts to maintain a healthy and active lifestyle while fully employed are not taken well. My work has regularly told me that I will need to lock my bike up on the street (as in to a stop sign, there are no bike racks near our office), that I cannot come into work in my riding clothes (we share a bathroom with 6 other offices and the door does not lock, nor are there showers), or generally just being made fun of for biking to work.

Is this how other people are recieved at their work as commuters? I want to assess the general experience.
My experience is generally very positive. I've been riding to the same job for ten years, and put my bike in the storage room. Some people do question my judgement for riding a bike, but no one has questioned my right to put the bike in a safe place. Of course, it helps that both of my bosses and a couple of my co-workers also commute by bike. The only problem I've encountered is that we have more bikes than we have places to put them where they're both safe and out of the way, but we resolved that one. This is actually one of the reasons I've stayed here so long. Yes, I enjoy the job itself, but since my bike habit is accepted, I feel more accepted, and don't feel a strong urge to leave...