View Single Post
Old 01-30-15, 11:43 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Interesting. So you suspected Lance was a doper. I was a bit poly ann-ish in the beginning I suppose...maybe hoping he wasn't a cheat. I thought it was possible that he was an extraordinary physical outlier of unprecedented proportion but only to learn he was an epic cheat in addition to his cycling gifts. Insiders of golf knew Wood's temperament which is just nasty. Of course nobody knew the extent of his philandering but honestly that isn't why he is so insufferable. He treats everybody the same...underlings to his success. In this regard I view Lance and Tiger identically. In fact the similarities are striking.
I didn't suspect right from the start. His first Tour win was a pleasant surprise, but I agree with Lemond's 2001 quote about it;

"When Lance won the prologue to the 1999 Tour I was close to tears, but when I heard he was working with Michele Ferrari I was devastated. In the light of Lance's relationship with Ferrari, I just don't want to comment on this year's Tour. This is not sour grapes. I'm disappointed in Lance, that's all it is."

I had more of a drip-feed of revelation moments, but as smoke gathered around Lance, it became more and more clear that there was a fire somewhere.