View Single Post
Old 01-31-15, 02:05 AM
bluebike1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought I would add some input since this seems like an interesting thread.

My backround is that I worked in tourism in British Columbia for several years, and I actually helped people to find places to camp.

Originally Posted by Machka
Have you never stealth/bush/wild/free camped? Is this really a new idea for you?

It is against the law if you are trespassing on private property or if you camp in a place with a sign that says, "No camping allowed". And if you get caught you could be charged with trespassing ... and/or fined. The "No camping allowed" signs often tell you how much you'll be fined.

That's why, when I've done this, I prefer not to trespass or camp in a place with a sign that says "No camping allowed". I prefer to camp legally. It is legal to camp on crown/public land.

For me, the term "stealth" refers to the idea of finding a quiet place where I won't likely be disturbed by passing traffic etc., and thus can get a good night's sleep, and also "leave no trace", and personally I generally prefer to use the terms "bush", "wild", and "free" camping ... while still maintaining the idea of "leave no trace". But these terms are all more or less interchangeable, and as with anything, different ones you talk to will have different ideas and different comfort levels.
This is a pretty good summary of how stealth camping works. I would add to this that if you see a No Trespassing sign, it means the same thing as a No Camping sign. Also, barbed wire fences, like what you would find near ranches, are a clear sign that camping is usually a no-no as they mean that the area has been developed for agriculture. There is no requirement to install signs if there is a fence or improvements.

There is an an unbelievable amount of space to camp in BC. You should not need to camp on such places. The BC government also has an excellent parks system and an great system of free public campgrounds. Bear in mind that food is pricey in BC.