View Single Post
Old 01-31-15, 11:56 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445
How about not reading the pump gauge correctly? My nephew and I were playing cards in our cheap pop-up camper the night before the start of a charity ride. Then BOOM! A tire on his bike exploded. He had just pumped up the tire about 30 minutes prior. We thought maybe just some age and such on the tube. The next day, I watched him as he pumped up his tire. Looked at the gauge and Holy &^^%! "I think you need reading glasses Doug!" What he thought was 110 was actually closer to 140.
Oh man.

I had a pump like that and was all I used in my earlier years. My Trek 460 had Vredestein Ricorso 23's with a folding bead, excellent training tires. While on a longer ride I hear a strange WUB WUB WUB coming from down near the front brake. The bead had lifted and a freaky black bulge getting bigger and bigger, dragging by the brake caliper. Of course, as soon as I hit the brake there was a pop and hiss.

That was when I backed pressure down 10psi. This has been the only flat on the front for me, ever.