Old 02-01-15, 09:15 AM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BBBRPDL
all good advice, thanks.

ive only ever ridden stock bikes, and at a far lesser weight than I am now; I'm still at a stage where I haven't yet mastered the knowledge of these hybrid/dual-discipline bikes enough to be able to specify exactly what I am after, particularly in a market with so many variables! i think I will aim for a 36 on the back and at least a 32 on the front to begin with; in the knowledge that nose manuals are to be avoided until I am a little nearer my target weight!

the Bianchi Zurigo has caught my eye now too; they seem especially cagey about weight restrictions.
A well built 32/36 hole wheelset should hold up to you just fine. The key being well built. It also would be a good idea to look into building with spokes that have a 2.3mm elbow like the DT Alpine 3 or Wheelsmith DH13. It will make for a much more durable build. I would also try to set yourself up with the widest tires that will clear in the frame, not only will the ride quality be much better and not any slower rolling but the wider tire will also help protect the wheels more.