Old 02-01-15, 10:46 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Yeah, yeah, it's the same repetition of the same "forum lawyering" where you present personal opinion as "fact" as before.

It's pretty obvious - when your bike lights start putting out the same amount of light as car lights, and you're biking on the same road as car lights, it makes sense to apply the safety advantages that car lights have to bike lights.

The light I pointed to is the #2 selling bike light on amazon - your personal opinion about reliability and how much it's sold does not change that. You claim that "
there is no incidence of bright lights causing any sort of problems with drivers or other cyclists on the road" is absurd and again obviously you're claiming as fact what you would like to be the case. Anyone who bikes where there are bikes has at some point has "any sort of problem" with someone with a bright light, even if that person was just annoying as heck. I know I have. Their light was probably brighter than 700 lumens. You just straight up lied about what I was saying - I didn't say bikes shouldn't have the same light output as cars, I said they should have the same lighting designs that cars have when they put the same amount of light on the road. I don't think there's a reason to wait for "empirical" evidence that bike lights as bright as car lights have exactly the same effect on the road as do car lights, that's pretty obvious. And you know, kids have played with loaded guns before and haven't shot anyone. That it happened one time isn't "proof" that it's "just not a problem" to leave a loaded *** on the kitchen all the time when you have kids. Obviously it was deemed enough of a problem for cars that they made laws and regulations for them, and cars and bikes on the same road with the same light output have the same effect. Bikes do not have a magical properties that make the light coming from them different than the light coming from cars.

I only posted in this thread if I remember light because of the absurd claims that bike lights were "nowhere near" the light output of car headlights. I didn't make dramatic claims about people dying and horrible things happening with cheap amazon front lights, just that it made sense that as bike lights put out as much light as car headlights that bike headlights should be able to use the same features and more advanced designs for light output, both for safety and because in my experience it's better for seeing the road for riding as well.

You can respond, but I'm not going to be replying further to more "forum lawyering" as you put it unless someone else has more actual facts, info, or ideas that haven't been shared yet that are interesting, and not just another
repetition of presenting your personal opinions as facts. Some of the things I wrote above are my personal opinions, but I generally try to describe them as such and not present them as "facts".

I don't see anything more actually useful info to get out of this style of back and forth here.