Old 02-02-15, 09:24 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You are lucky then. The vast majority of MUPs around the country are just that...multi-user paths.
I agree, most states have MUPs.

My state only has bike paths. They were here before all the neighboring states had MUPs. It was modeled after the road with bikes taking the place of the car. The pedestrians are supposed to walk on the left facing bike traffic. If it's crowded the pedestrians should go to the left off the path. Bikes have the right of way, but there is a dual responsibility for the bike and the pedestrian to give the other room. The rules are listed on the bike maps, paper, and on line. - ( BIKE RI )

One thing that happened is the cyclists though with them having the right of way, they should blast through and make everyone get out of the way. It was so bad the that rule is now removed from the maps. There are signs on posts and on the ground near main street intersections, showing bikes on the right and peds on the left facing traffic.

All the neighboring states now have MUPs. Most do not understand either the bike path, or the MUP, rules at all. Many are all over the place. Nothing matters very much. Not even the signs. The bottom line is that there a dual responsibility, to give room to the other user. There are all kind of cycling rules on the map. Nothing helps very much. No one knows the rules, even the cyclists, especially the ones from other states.

One day our paths will connect to the other state MUPs. That will be even more of a mess. The more I find out about this the more I realize most people don't have a clue.

Drivers from the next state have different rules than we do for rotary entering and exiting. That makes a similar problem. It's just life.