View Single Post
Old 02-02-15, 08:14 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Lexington to Columbia, SC

Route: secondary roads amd main roads - from the suburbs to downtown. About 11 miles

Road conditions / surfaces: varies. As soon as I leave my subdivision I have a half mile on a 4 lane with no shoulder. Usually have to wait in the suicide lane before I can get going. If I leave at the wrong time, I sit in traffic behind cars. The road I thrn off on is terribly paved, but aftee that i have smooth tarmac and most of the rest of the commute has a bike lane. Rough RR crossings

Traffic: Usually not great, but once I turn off the main road it is smooth sailing until I get close to downtown. Then I have to deal with students at a major university.

Environment: can be very hot here in sc

Hills: a few annoying ones - mostly crossing an overpass

Frequency: 2 to 3 times a week

Departure time: ideal is 0745

Bike: Bianchi volpe

Bike name: i call her the Millenial Falcon...bc I am a millenial, and the bike is the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

Cargo: panniers on a rack. I carry clothes, shoes, lunch and standard repair stuff

Illumination (to see and be seen): 2 rear lights and 1 in the front

Helmet / Mirror: Helmet...yes. unless I am being multimodal and doing 3 miles from the wife's office

Destination: work...bar

Parking: inside my office

Cleanup: shower, fresh clothes, cup o joe

Amenities: i leave my clothes in the shower area...bc I am the only one who uses it

Departure time: 1630

Alternative Transportation: drive, or multimodal and carpool with the wife and ride from her office to mine