View Single Post
Old 02-02-15, 09:34 PM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by LuckySailor
So, who has splurged and had themselves custom shoes made? Did you find them worth the (extra) money? How is the fit? How long have you had them? ETC. Lets have the good and the bad!

Situation: I have one leg shorter than the other by 3/4" due to an auto accident. All of my street shoes have been altered to accommodate this discrepancy. Without the modifications, my back and neck go out of alignment immediately, thus causing lots of pain. I cycle quite a bit and have an upcoming tour this year. Typically, I wear street shoes when I ride (hiking boots when I am mountain bike riding or tennis shoes when street riding). On tour, there will be lots of mountains and flats so being clipped in would be advantageous.
Good news. You can still ride mountains and flats without being clipped in. I've ridden long distance dirt routes in sneakers and regular flat pedals no problem. If you're worried about slipping off the pedal you can always get those wide mountain bike pedals with the spikes. They stick to your shoes really well. Save your money on fancy shoes a go with the shoes you already know are comfortable.