View Single Post
Old 02-02-15, 10:04 PM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My typical commute involves going to the gym, then work, then home.

Title: Weekday Commute

Route: Start out in suburbs. Take a few backroads out onto a rural style 2 lane 45mph speed limit road. Ride 200' to an intersection to a less populated 35 mph road. Ride 1/2 a mile and turn into another neighborhood, with a long 30mph straight shot broken up with multiple stop signs so I can outpace most drivers. Some are hellbent on passing me, even if it means going 45mph, slamming on their brakes at the next stop sign as I catch up to them and laugh etc. 30mph road takes me directly to gym parking lot. Total distance roughly 3.5 miles.

Next I go to work. I go straight from the gym to a busy 4 lane 45mph road that's the main route through town. I ride this for about 2 miles, first half flat, second half downhill, claiming the far left lane towards the end of this stretch so I can make a left turn into the plaza where I work. This is usually a pain in the ass because drivers don't think bikers have a right to either merge or claim a lane, so I'm getting passed on my left and right and it's a mess. Oh well. Total distance about 3 miles.

Going home I shoot straight across the main road, go behind some businesses, and come out on the first busy 45 mph road I mentioned. Ride slightly uphill in the dark and hope someone doesn't kill me in the 1.5 miles to the light, where I take a left and reach a nearly deserted 45 mph rural road that goes back into the neighborhoods where I live. Total distance about 3.5 miles.

Daily commute distance estimate: 10-12 miles.

Hills: Some very mild uphill sections on the way to the gym and my way back home, but barely worth mentioning. Nice downhill section between gym & work. Very flat overall.

Frequency: 5 or 6 days a week.

Bike:
Ridley Fenix 7005 with an Ibera mini commuter bag & rack.

Bike name: I haven't named it but I guess Ridley will do. I'm a huge fan of the series Metroid, and Ridley is one of the main characters. That may or may not of been a factor in my purchase

Cargo: Work uniform, gym clothes, snack for between gym & work (Banana/creatine/whey smoothie & 30g protein bar), headphones, phone, bluetooth speaker, water bottle, riding clothes (Hat, gloves, headband, hi-viz jacket etc.), keys, money clip, pocket knife, lip balm, leatherman micra, USB chargers, extra flashlight batteries, sometimes a 3DS.

Helmet:…Never