Old 02-03-15, 02:20 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
There are actually two ways to measure a stem.

First, there is the drafting-board, center-to-center-on-center method that puts a number on the actual center (bars) to center (handlebar) along the centerline of the extension.
This is mostly used today, since the demise of race-quality quill stems, and was almost universally used on Japanese stems (but for a few of the higher-end ones).

The second method better suits the needs of field measurement, perfect for determining what stem length is on the bike without having to withdraw the quill from the steerer as is usually needed to find a number. This method is done by laying a ruler or tape measure across the top of the stem's extension and measuring from the center of the expander bolt to the top-center of the clamp (the tangency point where the ruler touches the OD of the stem clamp.
This method applies to racing stems like Cinelli, ITM, TTT and to certain top-level Japanese quill stems, such as Shimano's Nitto-made "aero" stems (which accept 26.4mm bars BTW).

The difference in measurement methods means that a typical racing quill stem is 4mm or so shorter than a same-sized (designated size) Japanese stem.
This difference arises from the vertical distance from the stem extension's centerline up to the top of the clamp and quill bolt, up along the canted quill axis, which makes for a larger measured dimension when laying a ruler across the top (field measurement method).

I agree that it can be a bit of a dilemma coming up with the right stem and bars for a particular quill-stemmed build. Being as there are potentially four clamp diameters and three quill diameters, on top of having to find the right extension length, I have to keep a stockpile of parts on hand.

I like these stems, which I've found only in 60, 90 and 110mm extensions and with reduced 21.1mm (.833") quill diameter.

Thanks, dddd. That explains why my TTT and Cinellis measure about 4 mm short of the stated length, C-C. But my Nitto Pearls do measure C-perpendicular to quill CL as exactly as I can measure (with the stems of the bike). Hence, a 12 Pearl is C-C:

120 / cos(-17) = 125.4 mm.

TTTs and Cinellis measure roughly 116 for that 120 stated measurement. That near cm is the difference between Nitto Pearls and TTT/Cinelli.

I cannot vouch for any other Nitto stems or any other Japanese manufacturers. I bought a Pearl 13 for my custom fixie and ended up replacing it with a Pearl 12 because it was too long. (Too long a stem is a very rare event for this ape, so I investigated very carefully to see how that could have happened, esp on a big $$ custom ti bike designed and built to be perfect with a 130 stem.) My Cinelli 130 worked perfectly (and lays over the Nitto 12 exactly). I rode the 12 for a year plus. I have taken it off and replaced it with a Cinelli 135 and slightly shorter reach bars (better width). The Pearl 13 is on my "new" gravel grinder which wants the longest stem I have. And I have a beautiful Pearl 12 (130) sitting in a box, awaiting its next assignment. (Probably top replace the 1A on the fixie pista setup when it is tape time again.)

Ben