Old 02-04-15, 04:03 AM
ebrinkman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
there are even lighter materials if you look for the aerospace stuff .. Carbon honeycomb Hexcel with Carbon fiber faces.

In Sweden the Baltic birch ply i've found from there, is one of my Favorite materials
Yes, I could use lighter materials, but I don't find it worth the cost with carbon fiber for this application. Wood would defintly work, but I don't like the idea of the board collecting water even if I use some good coating.

Originally Posted by 2:01
Are the Xtracycle plastic decks any lighter? I have a Flightdeck and seems to be light enough. But either way, say if you're right about the 2lbs. Loaded weight for your trip would be what? 40? 50lbs? Just a drop in the bucket. Take a dump before you go and you've got your 2lbs right there.
This seem to be the same discussion that they are having in other forums, but there they are taking about 1/10 of this weight. I prefer to both have a light bicycle and taking a dump beforehand

But anyways, I made the rack yesterday! I used U shaped profiles that was 20x10mm (25/32x7/16). The weight saving was 1,0kg (2.2lbs), cost US$ 2.4 and took me two hours to make (spray painting not included).

The pictures shows it after and before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dummt_2.jpg (53.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg
dummy_1.jpg (48.8 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by ebrinkman; 02-04-15 at 04:09 AM.