View Single Post
Old 02-04-15, 02:37 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It's been a dry January here on the Pacific coast so I have put in 700 miles. Since I built up my Redline Cross bike I've been riding it off-road. You don't get many miles but the effort is a great deal higher. So since the Cross bike is not good on a hard descent I decided to go to a 29 full suspension and found a Trek HiFi. Don't let anyone tell you that there's been any significant improval in FS over the last 5 years. The only change is weight at the expense of HUGE expense.

Disk brakes drag a little always. But they stop so well you have to ignore that disadvantage. SR push-push shifters aren't as good as Shimano push-pull shifters but that's the break of the big time. And lifting the extra weight (5 lbs over the Cross bike) gives you more exercise on the short trail systems most people have access to. FS goes downhill better each time you ride one. The only thing you have to watch for is hikers and other cyclists.

The road bikes just make you smile. Colnago is one of those bikes that could make a stone statue smile. So is my Look tour replica. The problem that continues to bug me is that the shifting is always needing adjustment. It will hardly go for four or five rides and need attention. Maybe that goes with a triple. I'm planning on changing over to a compact eventually since the compact on the Cross bike has given no problems.

I rode the last five days in a row. It sure is nice being retired. We even have a guy in the group that's 83 though he's slowing down on his hill work these days.

So what have YOU to say for yourself?