Old 02-04-15, 07:09 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
We used to have a local Schwinn store in town, I went in there a few times, but I don't think I ever walked out with anything.

Were there choices in the 70's and 80's?
I don't know; I never was in the market for a new bike at that time. Raleigh was mixed with quality.

Certainly there were a few other bikes.  Dad got a Torpado.  Mom ended up with a Motobecane, My brother had a Raleigh racing bike. I had a Viscount until it was stolen, and replaced it with a Colnago purchased in Italy. I had a friend in college that had a Vitus, I think.

I suppose I find that ad objectionable that Schwinn considered a 36 pound bike as "top of the line", and compared it to a 30 pound bike, when a better comparison might be to a 25 pound bike.

They did ok in their niche, but that was about it. The bikes were "solid", but not "quality".

As far as Bianchi, or Trek, I do think the Asian bikes that Bianchi-USA brings over the the USA cheapens the brand and is bad for their overall image. Likewise, Trek competing in the under $100 market also damages their brand.