View Single Post
Old 02-04-15, 07:09 PM
Jimsl78

Bikes: mostly old steel 70's 80's 90's

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in the suburbs and find the roads safer and more predictable than the "shared" bike paths / walkways that we have along park lands. People who don't understand that these pathways are shared with rollerbladers, skateboards, dog walkers, runners, cyclists etc. I find many people are walking along oblivious to their surroundings, as you approach ringing your bell they don't react until the last moment, (sometimes so startled that they step into your path) At least drivers have some sense of whats around them. Last spring I broke a rib because there was a family riding bikes from the oncoming direction with their heads in the clouds, I was only doing about 20 Km /hr. and started ringing my bell from at least 50 metres before I reached them. There was plenty of room on my "lane" me to pass but someone reacts with panic and crosses my path at the last second, I end up breaking my fall with the end of their handlebar in between my ribs and the pavement. None of them got hurt and the lady had the gall to blame me for riding too fast. Now I just assume most people who go for walks or walk their dogs are complete idiots to stay clear of, or better yet use the road and go as fast as I please!