Old 02-07-15, 07:51 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf
I can kinda see the logic behind the requirement.
Of course there is logic.

I am old enough to remember when hunters started being required to wear "Hunter Orange" in most states with some square inch requirement during seasons when high powered f!re@rm$ were allowed. They p!$$ed and moaned too. Then people stopped getting accidentally shot in the woods by mistake. Now it is accepted and most hunters would not even get out of their trucks without the orange gear in place. (There are still many exceptions to the rule - bow, duck, and any hunting season where high powered f!re@rm$s are not allowed). Hell, mountain bikers and hikers are required to wear the same hunter orange during certain seasons. They happily comply. Life jackets in a boat - mandatory. No biggie. Farm tractors, garbage trucks, plows, mowers, and all sorts of equipment are required to have lights or orange triangles if they use public highways.

I see where the law makers are coming from. They too are tired of motorists killing cyclists and claiming "I didn't see them" EVERY time. If a cyclist wearing high-vis clothing with lights flashing all over the place gets steamrolled, the courts can say "You didn't see them because you WEREN'T LOOKING THROUGH THE WINDSHIELD" at the time - GUILTY! This would result in many more convictions IMO. And likely a few less needless tragedies.

I am not in favor of government telling me what cologne to wear or how to dress UNLESS I am enjoying the use of government property - like "public" roads, National Wildlife Refuges, etc.

I for one will happily line up with the sheep on this one. Actually, I already have bright lights front and rear, day and night. It HAS made a difference.