Old 02-10-15, 04:58 PM
nickw

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jambon
After I posted this I did the obvious and emailed Kona . They said that it would be impossible do get the bars level with the saddle for my saddle height 84cm , on the kona sutra as it is . They said a longer steerer tube would flex so they recommended a stem raiser .I think I'm going to go with the Disc Trucker . There is something about those moustache and butterfly bars that I just dont like the look of . Maybe when I'm older and practicality has finally passed out style in the priorities race
My saddle to BB distance is right at 84cm also. I had a 62 LHT and I remember having my bars near level with my saddle. With that said though, do you KNOW that they need to be level? If it works for you, so be it, it does for some, but the taller you are, more likely you can get away with a bit more drop and still be comfortable.

I don't like the mustache bars personally. Used them and they don't offer enough hand positions for me. It's nice to get into the drops for a head wind / downhill or to stretch out and vary up the position a bit. For touring, I like a flared compact drop bar like the Salsa Cowbell (or similar), a couple inches lower than my saddle.

I'd challenge the notion that a stem riser (clamp on) is better than a steer tube. I've always opted to maximize steerer length for fit if needed. If they mean a positive rise stem, I guess that could be 'stiffer', but can't imagine it being an issue on a touring bike....maybe if we were racing MTB / CX.