View Single Post
Old 02-11-15, 10:26 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I just looked on Amazon. I suppose it could all be a cruel hoax

Amazon.com : Shimano SL-R400 Double/Triple 8-Speed Braze-On Shifters : Bike Shifters And Parts : Sports & Outdoors

The copy actually says they're Sora. I though 4* was Tiagra and 3* was Sora. Who knows? Shimano has quite a few oddball parts that are not quite in groups.

Line-up chart - Shimano Product Information Web
Neat find, Darth. I'd been wondering where some of those "non-series" specs were hiding.

Originally Posted by himespau
I wish they hadn't taken the friction option away from the right shifters. When I wanted 8 speed, I ended up finding some older DA DT levers with the knowledge that I was going to have to use the alternate routing to get them to work with my shifters (ended up deciding to get 10S when I found them for not much more, so I never mounted the 8S shifters to see if the alternate routing actually worked).
I agree -- the micro-ratcheting "friction" option is so nice if things get out of whack or you want to challenge yourself a little over indexed mode. Probably keeps the price down to implement only one set of ratchets, though.

Since 7-speed and 8-speed spacing is so close, have any of you guys tried using 7-speed DT shifters (plus the low-limit stop) to shift 8-speed cassettes? I'd like to think you could go either way and open up some options, but haven't tried it myself.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498