chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
Every state has different laws. In OH a bike can be no more than 36" left of the curb line. That is his/hers lane. They also cannot ride double file in a single lane. Cyclists also have to obey all traffic laws, like comming to a complete stop at a stop sign. There are reasons why cars get pissed at cyclists. Usually we bring it on ourselves by thinking we are entitled to more than we actually are. I know I'm gonna get flamed for that but it's true.

Tim
No flames, but a few facts from the Ohio Revised Code:

§ 4511.55. Riding bicycles; motorcycles abreast.

(A) Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable obeying all traffic rules applicable to vehicles and exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction.

(B) Persons riding bicycles or motorcycles upon a roadway shall ride not more than two abreast in a single lane, except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles or motorcycles.

There is no 36" rule and it is perfectly legal to ride two-abreast.

Proposed changes to the ORC give better definition of our right to the road, among other improvements. They can be found here: http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/b...?ID=126_HB_389
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey