Thread: Sleeping bags
View Single Post
Old 02-13-15, 10:25 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Ditto the quilt, and ditto checking for an EN rating.

A high quality down quilt will be less expensive, lighter, and more compact than a bag. The one I got, made by enLightened Equipment, is long enough to be pulled over my head as a hood and has snaps and draw strings to hold it together if needed. It's not as convenient as a zipped bag, but every design is a compromise. If you figure you can live without a zipper, there are savings there. The quilt is a favorite addition to my three-season bike touring kit.
The theory of a quilt is fine, but I found the actual experience to be frustrating as draughts made sleeping uncomfortable and my arms were unsupported and fell out off my sleeping mat and onto the cold ground. If you have a quilt that is large enough to close up with ties or velcro you essentially have a sleeping bag......so why not get a well made sleeping bag with a zip.

So rant now over I'll recommend the Montbell ultralight super-spiral down hugger.

Down Hugger 800 #3 | Montbell America

You can always extend the lower temperature limit of a sleeping bag by wearing extra clothes and your upper limit is meaningless because you just open the zip or sleep on top of the bag.