Old 02-17-15, 09:59 AM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yes, @rhm, it should work. From other threads, I've seen that some have roughed up their powder coat surface to ensure spray adhesion, others have just sprayed over the gloss powder coat without issue. What might work nicely would be to powder coat the entire frame in chrome and use translucent "candy" colors to cover the majority of the frame triangle. A candy apple green or red with chrome letters showing through might be nice... Head tube & contrasting panels could be done in an opaque gloss enamel.

The spray application of a translucent color would much trickier - runs, drips, and sags would show through grossly. Straight tubes wouldn't be a problem. Braze-ons = instant trouble. So to do a chrome powder coat, I'd want to file off the braze-ons & use some clamp-on stops & cable guides after painting was complete.

I'm also wondering if lugs could be brush-painted? With a wet enamel coat that was then baked on, I'd think so, but I don't really know.

So the decision tree is between a chrome or a primary-color powder coating. If I can brush-paint the lugs chrome, the only other part of the frame that I'd want chrome on is the back half of the rear triangle. Then spray the head tube & seat tube panel. That could easily be done via spray can.

OTOH, if I go chrome powder coat, then I have to remove braze ons, apply translucent coat(s) of spray to the majority of the frame, bake, and then mask / spray the head tube & contrasting color panels.

Seems that the chrome would be easier to apply OVER the primary-color powder coat. Less work & I get to keep the braze-ons. But if there are factors that I haven't considered, please bring them to my attention.

Thanks again - FH