View Single Post
Old 02-17-03, 12:37 PM
Scuddie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sigh... Another newbie

Howdy all! First post in these forums, just thought I'd say hi, as well as ask a few questions about my bike.

I am 21 years old, 6'3, and 330 pounds (not nearly as obese as you'd think). I have a TREK bike, and I have no idea what model it is(got it from a friend), but it's pretty darn big, big enough to be the only bike that fits my frame. Anyway, I was wondering what the deal with weight is. The tires I have are obviously made for a mountain bike... PSI ranges from 40-65, size 26x1.95, and treads measure about 6mm deep. Thing is, I am overcautious about my weight with any kind of tire, except car tires of course . Well, what I am trying to ask is will a tire like that hold a weight like mine without being stressed very much? I know it's not like a 3/4(?) inch tire like Raleigh uses, but it still worries me. I dont know whether I should inflate it to 40PSI, so there wouldnt be as much pressure when my weight is applied, or 60PSI, so that it's not as hard on the tire when I move at higher speeds. The last thing I need is to be cruising around and having a blowout. With that said, whats the deal?

Also, a bit OT, but I cant get into gear 3 major unless I am at 7 minor(the highest), and it will slip into 2 major if I go below 6 minor. Any of you think I need a new gearset/derailer? thanks.

-Scuddie