View Single Post
Old 02-18-15, 10:53 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
+10 On the boonies. C/L buyers are incredibly LAZY. They need to be spoon fed details on the bike, and it needs to be conveniently located.

I picked up a Tomassini Prestige last year at an incredible price. It lasted two days. Location? In the boonies. It was about a an hour and 15 minutes NW of Charlotte. Meanwhile, it was two hours away from me (four hour round trip). I grabbed it, well worth the travel.

People want a smoking hot deal, 15 minutes away, where the seller will hold the bike until the weekend, or whenever it is convenient.....

Lazy buyers are your competition. There are even many lazy flippers out there. Be what they are not and you will score some deals along the way. Act like them, and people like me will score the deals. Your choice.

Most buyers also have NO imagination. If the bike is not complete, most will not bother. I picked up a high end model of bike from a major European manufacturer, at a silly low price, conveniently located in Charlotte (I don't live in Charlotte, so it was not so convenient to me). The problem? The bike did not have wheels. I sold the pedals on that bike for what I paid for it... That bike sat on Charlotte C/L for two weeks.

I've even bought bikes from lazy flippers. There is one in Charlotte, guy sells over 200 bikes a year. But he doesn't know bikes, and he doesn't do any work on them. Of course, he makes a sweet profit without turning a wrench, so his strategy is working pretty well. Occasionally, he will get an older bike, higher end, that needs work. He buys cheap, so he sometimes will sell those bikes cheap. I've bought several from him. All needed work and most were missing parts.

Last edited by wrk101; 02-18-15 at 10:57 AM.