View Single Post
Old 02-18-15, 11:13 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
There is a thread called Bike Flipping 101. You may enjoy reading that.

I learned a good rule here when I was flipping bikes: have an eye for making a minimum profit of $100. Otherwise, it turns into a waste of time. Of course, you can make your own rules for yourself. Learn what things generally go for. Buy low and sell high. In other words, don't pay general market value, because you'll lose when you sell. Wait to find something whose seller undervalues.

People in the boonies generally don't expect to get much for their stuff, because their choice of buyer is narrow. It might make sense to look at the CL listings there. Then sell in hot markets, in densely populated areas. I made a road trip of buying only once. I accidentally won some ebay auctions in central CT, far from me. I made the trip worth my while by lining up deals along the way. I came home with seven bikes in my car, though I paid too much for one or two of them. I ended up selling them at my cost, but they didn't take much work, so it wasn't so bad.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.