Old 02-18-15, 03:45 PM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Got Rear Ended This Morning

I was on my way to work on the recumbent that I built when it happened. The weather was overcast but there was plenty of visibility. I was wearing my neon green pullover, had my rear light blinking, my front light on strobe and I have high visibility tape on my bicycle trunk. No amount of visibility helped. The driver said she fell asleep.

I just remember being struck, flying through the air, then landing on the sidewalk. It all happened in just a couple seconds. Luckily, none of my bones were broken, but I do have nasty road rash and significant bruising. I know I am going to have a hard time getting out of be tomorrow morning. My rear wheel is tacoed. It will have to be replaced. My handlebar stem is broken, but I think I can re-weld it. My cranks are really jacked up. I'm not sure I can repair them but I'll try. After I contact her insurance, I'll see how much of the repairs I can make.

My boss gave me the rest of the week off and she gave me a ride home from the hospital. At the scene, I didn't think I was too badly hurt, but I wanted to get check out anyway.

When I get the police report, I'll contact her and tell her that I forgive her. I know from the scene that she was genuinely sorry for hurting me.