Old 02-19-15, 02:56 PM
yipyipyip

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Please forgive my ignorance here, but what is the difference between mini-V brakes and just regular V brakes?
Regular V-brakes ("linear pull") are incompatible with all other break levers (caliper, canti etc) because they require twice the amount of cable pull. This is the reason V-brakes have their distinct features. Which is primarily that they stop hard and have a different modulation, i.e. it takes almost no effort to lock up the wheels. Some people like it (I do), others don't because they instinctively brake as hard as they possibly can in emergency situations, which means going over the handlebars with V-brakes.

Mini-Vs are V-brakes with shorter arms, so that they work with regular break levers. They only make sense if you like the modulation behavior of V-brakes, but want to use road bike brake levers. For flatbar brake levers, regular V-brakes are superior for several reasons. Overall, this means Mini-Vs have a relatively small niche: road bikes don't have the necessary bosses, and cyclocross bikes don't use them because they need to be too close to the rim and get clogged with dirt too quickly in races. MTBs have moved to disc brakes, and commuter/touring bikes seem to go in that direction aswell.

Still, it's good they exist. Their direct competitor are cantilever brakes, which are very laborious to adjust and feel squishy, but offer more tire/fender clearance and are more tolerant of untrue wheels.