View Single Post
Old 02-23-15, 01:31 AM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John Hood
The problem here is one of perception. If the owners perceive that they are at risk of a lawsuit or higher insurance costs that's often enough. Corporate America does a lot of silly things due to fear of lawsuits.
Guess what's the first thing that will happen if a ped or cyclist is run over by an inattentive driver? The ambulance-chasing lawyers will unequivocally advise them to go after the BIG BUSINESS. Why sue the driver for mere tens of thousands when you can grab millions off a faceless corporation that juries have far less sympathy for?

The reality is that for decades this is exactly what has been happening and the end result is an understandable paranoia that screws up basic courtesy and common sense. Just like in China where people have tried to help and ended up getting sued.

Allowing "easy access" without checking with their lawyers first is almost surely going to bite the business in the ass sooner or later.

Heck, I'm not so sure I wouldn't be tempted if my lawyer promised me zero costs if we lose and millions if we win.