View Single Post
Old 02-23-15, 08:04 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Motolegs
…The main thing in a- as the jacket works so well with little under it- is adjusting hand, head, and foot protection for various temps. It was/ is a learning experience- but with practice have gotten fairly good at it.

This morning it was 6 degrees. Thermal underwear and tights for legs/ summer jersey, thermal underwear "top", and jacket for upper body/ two pairs socks (one wool, plastic bread bags, one cotton) for feet/ downy mittens for hands/ and balaclava, knit beanie for head. Worked great. On the way home it was 20 degrees so was able to shed a few items.

A balancing act, and somewhat of a PITA, but hey, worth it!
That outfit sounds a little lightweight for me, more for the mid teens - 20’s or so. One request I make of discussions of winter riding is not only how cold, but also how far? Distance (time) and temperature as a combined index of “cold.”

One subscriber suggested a cold ride is one in which the water bottle freezes solid. For me, my liter bottle of carbonated water is usually solid after about 14 miles (1 to 1.5 hours) at 15° F. On my 3° 14 mile ride this Saturday, I noted it frozen solid at about 10 miles as pictured below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Level Vi 2-21-15 015.jpg (91.4 KB, 19 views)