View Single Post
Old 02-24-15, 08:03 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
for Jim, outstanding! kinda like SCUBA diving above the surface. also what a perfect way of showing us what it takes to get the job done

but one of my 1st reactions is to the # of layers. I'm thinking one could use fewer layers but use different layers. for example on the feet I would use a sock liner, chemical toe warmers and a thick winter sock then a covered hiking shoe. it looks like you're using 3 sock layers and a plastic bag inside the boot. also why would you cover a waterproof boot?

for the legs I would use cycle shorts, full leg tights and snow pants. a little warmer and it would be cycle shorts, novara headwind cycle pants and then rain pants. I can't imagine 4 leg layers would be comfortable

for your top the # of layers could be the same as me but I would have a long sleeve thermal base, fleece shirt and cycling rain jacket (not sure what would be the additional layer, maybe another thin fleece full zip top). Really curious of what looks like a simple cotton hospital scrub. I don't see that as a practical item.

for the head I would use a full face balaclava, helmet and cheap clear motel style shower cap over the helmet (or helmet cover), safety glasses & maybe a head sweat under the balaclava but probably not

I realize I haven't been cycle commuting this winter, like you, (I only did so one winter, coldest ride was 17 degrees that I can remember) so I defer to your better judgement and I only pose the layer remarks out of desire to continue the conversation. I have been spending hours outside this winter shoveling, roof raking & snowshoeing, etc

nothing but admiration Jim! where do you hang your stuff to dry during the day? and how long (in time) is your ride in?

was in Burlignton VT last Friday morning for a college tour. the reported windchill was 30 below zero and I believe it. I forget what the air temp was. I saw these 2 guys on bikes. one was riding in traffic and the other was parking his bike at the bldg we were going in. no idea how long he had been out or how long that 1st guy was riding. note the feet on the 2nd guy! what?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
burlington biker 2.jpg (93.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg
burlington biker1.jpg (77.9 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 02-24-15 at 08:20 AM.