View Single Post
Old 02-25-15, 01:33 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
It was about 23ºF when I headed out today, and I was more than adequately bundled up. I didn't get cold.

The stretch that was snowy is now almost entirely iced up, and it was super treacherous. I did put my weight back as much as possible, and that helped a little, but when my front wheel turns left and right on the ice, there isn't much I can do. I had to walk for many stretches, and even that was hard.

Here is a view of the Hudson, with lots of ice on it. Yesterday, the East River was so icy that they had to suspend ferry service!

Can you see how icy the path is and how faceted the ice is? Footprints and tire tracks froze, making it pretty awful.

I tried to ride on the dirty snow bank here. The path is to the left. This is not dirt, here on the right. It is very dirty snow. It was not packed down enough to make passage possible, but it was worth a try. For a stretch, I walked here since walking on the ice was so bad.

Now, it's pretty weird to find things like pants on the ground, but this is doubly weird: two pairs of pants! What the?!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.