View Single Post
Old 02-25-15, 04:16 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
There was a race where I dropped out after one 11 mile lap (race was 55 miles) - I did it for 3-4 years and every year I got shelled on the hill to the finish (Jiminy Peak RR). I was probably home when the 6th place guy crossed the line. However, for whatever reason, I got selected 6th. The promoters sent me a check and a mug. I sent them back. I couldn't undo the USCF results online but otherwise I think my 6th place got erased. Still, those that read the race standings congratulated me for years on my "really strong" finish at this incredibly hard road race where I've never finished one lap with the field.

I did a Series race (before Bethel so it wasn't my race) where I cramped at the bell and stopped to watch the finish. I was sitting second overall and the guy who was ahead of me won that day. Because I didn't place I left without checking results. I found out the next and final week that I'd "won" the previous week's race. I protested vehemently to the officials and promoter (I didn't know any better so I went to the promoter as well) and all of them shrugged, 15 min protest period is over. I talked to the overall leader, who was now second overall due to my "win" and his "2nd place". He was a friendly rival, we had the utmost respect for each other, and in fact he found the time to drive 5-6 hours down to do a Bethel race a couple years ago. Anyway he said it was no big deal. In the last race I got 2nd, he won, and he won the overall. No prize money or anything, but I think it was an appropriate finish. I won't say I didn't sprint but I simply made sure I was ahead of everyone else.

One big race as a Junior the officials doing pre-race roll out used the wrong lines. Guys were "passing" rollout with 53x12 (gear limit was 53x15 with 700c 21mm tires). One or two of my teammates changed to their "Senior" wheels for the race. I declined because it was wrong. After the race virtually all the picked riders got DQ'ed due to rollout violations.

Cane Creek Speed and Scott Rake bars have always been USCF/USAC legal. Because they haven't been made in a while, because many officials don't know about them, I got into the habit of asking if the officials would allow me to use them. In most situations the officials allow me to do so. In one race (Somerville) the officials were hesitant. The person I asked knew about the bars, knew the legal way to use them, and also knew the illegal way most riders use them. They pointed out that if I used them the illegal way then I'd be DQ'ed. I understood, and, short of mounting a camera to capture my hand placement on the bars, I knew that simply by running the bars I'd risk being DQ'ed. Plus Somerville + me = no breaks. I told them that to avoid confusion I'd remove the bars.

Ultimately when someone gets a license they agree to follow the rules. They could be the most stupid, inane rules ever, but if the rulebook says "YOu must wear pink socks to such and such spec pink, ending at least 30 cm above the heel" then you better believe that I'm going to do two things. First I'm going to find some pink socks that reach at least 30 cm above my heel. Second I'm going to raise hell with USAC about the rules and how to go about amending them.

If someone doesn't want to play by the rules, that's fine, just don't race USAC or UCI. Dope, use 5:1 aero profiles, don't wear a helmet, etc. It's all good when not in a USAC/UCI race.

This question reminds me of the golfers that DQ themselves for doing something ridiculously unharmful but technically illegal. They got the whatever (putt, hole, I don't know golf) but they broke a rule in doing so (like wearing green without wearing pink or something that has nothing to do with the golf stick or ball), and they excused themselves from the competition. The golfer knew the rules, knew they broke them, and excused themselves from competition.

The reality is that a USAC official will typically NOT change the results after the fact. However, if the rider approaches an official and reports a rule violation, at least it clears the rider of responsibility. Overgeared, number not quite right, etc, if you report it to the official and the official says something like, "Thanks, this time I'm letting it slide but take care next time" then it's all good.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson