Old 02-26-15, 11:09 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by K.Katso
I don't know how it will be with the new SRAM wireless system, but with Di2 you have to charge the one battery for the whole system. At least this wireless system will have a little bit of redundancy with each component having its own(RD will still work if FD battery is dead, etc). That being said, running out of charge on a ride is almost a non-issue, because with Di2 the battery life is up in the many thousands of shifts. I've put in over 1200km since I fully charged mine, and it isn't even below 50% yet. I think most people should be able to remember to charge it a few times a year, not to mention at least checking it before any big ride. If not, or if it fails for some other reason, there's nothing preventing you from physically wedging it into an easier gear until you get home.
An article got posted on SRAM wireless the other day, apparently the shifters work on a standard watch battery (replace once a year-ish) and each derailleur has an interchangeable removeable battery pack. So if rear dies, you can swap with the front, and if you like wearing a belt and suspenders you can bring a spare in your jersey pocket.

My next complete bike is (barring disaster befalling my current ride) years away yet, so by the time I get around to it electronic may well be the standard for everything above $1000. But I'm not going to go actively looking for it, and my most likely next purchase on that level will be an Athena Silver mech group to replace my 5700.